The Grantsburg Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1873.
In 1992, the Department was reorganized under Wisconsin Statutes as a Chapter 181 Non Stock Corporation. In 2003, the Department was granted 501(c)(3) Tax-exempt Nonprofit Organization status from the Internal Revenue Service.
Today the Grantsburg Fire Department is classified as a combination fire department. The Fire Department has one fulltime Fire Inspector / Firefighter. The remaining members are classified as paid per call firefighters that respond to car accidents, fires, natural disasters, and other emergencies when paged.
The Department operates out of one station located in the Village of Grantsburg. The Department provides fire suppression, emergency rescue services, public fire education, and fire code enforcement to the Village of Grantsburg, and the Towns of Anderson, Grantsburg, Trade Lake, West Marshland and Wood River.
The Fire Department also provides mutual aid to local, county, state, and federal agencies throughout Burnett County as well as neighboring counties in Wisconsin & Minnesota.
The Fire Department belongs to the Burnett County Fire Association. The Department's Chief Officers are members of the Wisconsin State Fire Chief's Association. All of the Department members are members of the Wisconsin State Firefighter's Association.